You are here
Health promoter/alternative medicine specialist
Health promoters raise awareness about health-related issues. They take a more holistic view of a person's health, and often work on tackling a wide range of issues. An alternative medicine specialist uses non-Western and non-traditional techniques to cure ailments and illnesses. As a health promotion or alternative medicine specialist, you can:
- Create public education programs to increase knowledge of health and environmental issues.
- Study disease and public health issues to identify potential relationships with environmental pollution.
- Research traditional uses of plants for medicinal purposes.
- Treat patients using homeopathy, acupuncture, massage, aromatherapy or other alternative medical practices.
Where you could work:
- Local, provincial and national government ministries concerned with health and the environment.
- Hospitals and health clinics
- Health promotion organizations
- Community health centres
- Be self-employed
Health promotion and alternative medicine requires a good understanding of the social and environmental determinants of health and the connection between illness and the environment. The inclusion of a variety of perspectives within the BES program helps students to develop the ability to look at alternative explanations for illnesses and alternative solutions. You will acquire the strong analytical and communication skills necessary for success in these fields.