Etcheverry, Jose (Sabbatical)
MA (Geography & Environmental Studies) - Toronto
PhD (Geography) - Toronto
"The essential content in any educational program – whether on syntax, biology, physics, mathematics, or the social sciences – is that which makes possible discussions of the mutable nature of natural reality, as well as of history, and which sees men and women as beings capable not only of adapting to the world but above all of changing it"
Areas of Academic Interest
- Climate Change Mitigation
- International and National Renewable Energy Policies
- Rural Electrification
- Educational and Capacity Development Networks
- New Media and Communications
My work is focused on developing practical policy solutions to climate change through collaborative efforts. I am particularly interested in strategies to develop all renewable energy sources to their full potential and in finding new ways to communicate effectively about solutions to climate change and energy problems.
During my work outside of academia I have observed first hand the growing need for professionals with better training to address environmental problems. That is why I decided to join FES and become part of an outstanding group of people which are in the unique position to collaborate in the education of the next generations of problem-solvers and innovators.
Major research projects
Currently as Co-Chair of the Sustainable Energy Initiative of the Faculty of Environmental Studies I am working on efforts to advance the Global Campaign for 100% Renewable Energy in key cities in Canada and internationally. Also, I am actively collaborating with key partners to develop new renewable energy training opportunities.
For 2015-2016, I am focusing my research on climate change mitigation strategies, storage solutions for renewable energy, transportation and renewable energy, and sustainable energy development at York University.
- Researcher, 2015-present, Sustainable Canada Dialogues
- Business and Environment (B&E) Diploma Co-ordinator, 2014-2015, Faculty of Environmental Studies
- Editorial Board Member, 2014 - present, Energy Storage Journal
- Network of Experts Member, 2014 - present, 100% Renewable Energy Global Campaign
- Network of Experts Member, 2012 - present, RETScreen International, Natural Resources Canada
- Partner Member, 2012 - present, IRENA International Renewable Energy Learning Partnership, UAE
- International Advisor, 2011 - present, Japan Renewable Energy Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2011 - present, Windfall Ecology Centre, Canada
- Faculty Affiliate, 2010 - present, Canadian Centre for German and European Studies, York
- Faculty Affiliate, 2010 - present, Institute for Research and Innovation in Sustainability, York
- Advisor, 2010 - present, Small Change Fund, Toronto, Canada
- President and Board Member, 2008 - present, Canadian Renewable Energy Alliance
- Chairpersons Committee Member, 2006 - present, World Council for Renewable Energy, Germany
Select prizes and awards
- Canada Housing and Mortgage Corporation Teaching Excellence Award, 2011
- Centennial College Alumnus of Distinction, 2007
- Gordon Cressy Student Leadership Award, 2003
- Mexican Government Ministry of Foreign Relations Scholarship, 2000
- University of Toronto Open Fellowship, 1996-2002
- Labbatt Award, 1999-2001
2014 Etcheverry, J. Chapter 33: Implementing Practical Pedagogical Strategies for the Widespread Adoption of Renewable Energy. In Alsop, S. and Bencze, L. (editors). Activist Science & Technology Education. (Toronto: Springer Press).
2013 Etcheverry, J. Chapter 11: Challenges and Opportunities for Energy Paradigm Shifting in Ontario, Canada. In Krenz. A., Maegaard, P. and Palz, W. (editors). Wind Power for the World: International Reviews and Developments. (Singapore: Pan Stanford Publishing).
2013 Etcheverry, J. Research and Development Cooperation in North America: New Approaches to Climate Mitigation: Collaborative Strategies for Developing Renewable Energy in North America. In Craik, N., I. Studer, I. and D. VanNijnatten (editors). Climate Change Policy in North America: Designing Integration in a Regional System. (Toronto: University of Toronto Press Publishing).
2012 Etcheverry, J. Chapter 5: Increasing Local Resilience and Prosperity: Harnessing Renewable Energy in Ontario. In MacRae, R. and E. Abergel (editors). Advancing Sustainability and Health in the Canadian food system: New spaces for Policy Advocacy and Civil Society. (Vancouver: UBC Press).
2012 Bensebaa, F. and J. Etcheverry. Strategies to Increase the Viability of Power Generation using Renewable Energy Sources. In M.J. Acosta (editor). Advances in Energy Research, Volume 10 (Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.)
2012 Adler, R., J. Etcheverry, A. Kenny, C. Hallmich, J. Lazar, R.M. Meyer, R. Newmark, J. Peace, J. A. Suhr Pierce and S. Yamasaki. Chapter 13: North America (Renewable energy policies options for North America), chapter commissioned by United Nations Environment Program UNEP) for publication in the UNEP’s Global Environmental Outlook-5 (GEO-5), 349-372.
2012 Barr, J., L. Coppens, N. Dronin, J. Etcheverry, A. El-Sammak, L. Li, C. Mafuta, C. P. McMullen, F. Rovia and J. Kamiche Zegarra Chapter 15: Policy Options: Regional Summary, chapter commissioned by United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) for publication in the UNEP’s Environmental Outlook-5 (GEO-5), 399-416.
2008 Etcheverry, J. Chapter 10: Renewable Energy in Gore, C. and Stoett, P. (editors). Environmental Challenges and Opportunities: Local–Global Perspectives on Canadian Issues. Toronto: Emond Montgomery Publications.
Articles in Refereed Journals
2013 Mulvihill, P., M. Winfield and J. Etcheverry. Strategic environmental assessment and advanced renewable energy in Ontario: Moving forward or blowing the wind? Journal of Environmental Assessment Policy and Management, Vol. 15, No. 2 (June 2013), Imperial College Press, 19 pages.
2012 Etcheverry, J. Sustainable deployment of photovoltaics: What is wrong with current policy and technology focus? The Electricity Journal. Volume 25, Issue 2, March, 24–31.
2011 Etcheverry, J. New climate protection, energy security, and employment creation strategies for Latin and North America based on renewable energy collaboration. Latin American Policy, 2 (1), 43-57.
2005 Etcheverry, J. Smart electricity options. Alternatives Journal 31 (1) 32-36.
2011 Etcheverry, J. 8.1 Developing Local Capacity, Training and Education to their Full Potential: Current and Potential Roles of the International Renewable Energy Agency and the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism. (pp 441-444). Special Report commissioned by World Wind Energy Association (WWEA) for the 4th Edition of the WWEA Yearbook. Wind Energy International 2011/12. Bonn: WWEA.
2014 REN21 Renewable Energy Policy Network. Renewables 2014: Global Status Report. (Paris: REN21 Secretariat).