faculty of environmental studies

You are here

Frequently asked questions about financial support

1. What services does the Awards Office at the Student and Alumni Resource Centre provide?

The Awards Office acts as an information clearinghouse that can direct you to funding opportunities. We provide one-on-one awards advising, work to increase recognition for FES award winners, and process award applications for internal FES awards and the major external graduate awards (OGS, SSHRC, NSERC and CIHR). Contact us for more details on how we can help you.

2. What’s the difference between a scholarship, an award and a bursary?

Generally, a scholarship is based on outstanding academic achievement, while awards and bursaries take both academic achievement and financial need into consideration, with bursaries tending to give more weight to financial need. The differences aren’t as important as their similarities – all are useful sources of financial support for your education!

3. What’s the most important thing I should do to get funding?

Apply, apply, apply! In most cases, you can only be considered for awards if you apply for them.

4. Can I apply for FES awards if I’ve submitted an application for the BES/MES/PhD program but haven’t been admitted yet?

Yes – you can apply for any applicable entrance awards.

5. I’m a graduate student. Where can I get information on research or conference travel grants?

Follow the links for information on grants available through the Graduate Environmental Studies Students’ Association, the York University Graduate Students’ Association, and the Faculty of Graduate Studies.