1. What courses do I take in first year?

Students should enrol in the following courses in their first year: ENVS 1000, ENVS 1200, ENVS 1500 or equivalent*, ENVS 1800 or equivalent**, and Free Elective*** (6 credits) for a total of 30 credits.

* ENVS 1500 is a science course specifically developed and delivered for non-science students in the BES program. If you have completed a science course at the high school level (Physics, Biology, or Chemistry) you may enroll in a Chemistry, or Biology, or Physics course from the Faculty of Science & Engineering in lieu of ENVS 1500. (Please see our Undergraduate Handbook for this policy.) Please note: If students are planning to follow the Management area of concentration, you must complete either ENVS 1500 or BIOL 1000 and BIOL 1001 to fulfill your science requirement.

** Our Humanities course ENVS 1800, is a writing course for students who are interested in literature and excel in writing. If students wish to replace this course, they can do so by taking another 1000 level course (6 credits) from the following: Classical Studies, English; French Studies; History, Humanities, Languages, Literature and Linguistics; or Philosophy. (Please see our Undergraduate Handbook for this policy.)

*** Free Electives: 6 credits from any area of interest in the 1000 level. Courses can also be 3 credits each, with one taken in the fall and the other during the winter semester.

Please note: Students with transfer credits may be required to take alternate courses. Discussion with the Student Success Coordinator will provide you with the correct information depending on your previous academic background.

If I am interested in taking a language course to fulfill my Humanities requirement, free electives or out of faculty requirements, how do I go about enrolling in that course?

Students interested in taking a language course, must take a language assessment test before enrolling. Please contact the Department of Languages at 416-736-5016 for a language assessment.

If you are interested in studying French, please contact French Studies at 416-736-5086 for a language assessment.

2. Where can I find information about the Area of Concentration?

There are four areas of concentration in the Bachelor in Environmental Studies degree.

3. What are checklists and where do I find them?

The program checklist is a tool utilized by the Student Success Coordinator to ensure that you are taking the appropriate course selections to complete your degree. Beginning in February and by mid-May, you are required to submit a completed Program Checklist. You will do this each year until you graduate. Please speak to the Student Success Coordinator for details. Once your Program Checklist is submitted, your enrolment block will be lifted and you will be able to enroll in your courses on the assigned date.

4. Where is my Advisor located?

Your academic advisor is located in the Office of Student & Academic Services (OSAS) HNES (Health, Nursing, and Environmental Studies Building) Room 134.

5. Where can I find information on dropping courses and course refunds?

If you are planning to drop a course from your timetable, please ensure that you have reviewed the deadlines for dropping fall, winter, and year-long courses. You can view this information on the website containing Important Dates. Please note: Students should also be aware of financial penalties for dropping courses after the start of classes. Please refer to the refund table.

6. How do I petition to withdraw from a course if the deadline has passed?

A petition is a request for a waiver of the Faculty of Environmental Studies regulations. It is made for specific reasons, which form the basis of the request. Please complete the Petition Request Form in full. This form should include your personal information, the course that is involved in the petition, details about what you are requesting and any relevant documentation should be attached. Please follow the directions provided on the website and submit to OSAS in HNES 137 for processing.

7. Where is the undergraduate handbook?

The Faculty of Environmental Studies (FES) BES Handbook is updated every year.

8. Where can I get financial help?

If you need financial help, our website is the place to start.

9. What is a Peer Mentor and why might I need one?

The Peer Mentorship Program is in place to assist our first year students make that all-important transition to York University. First and second year transfer students are invited to attend the monthly Peer Mentorship get-togethers to learn more about the Bachelor in Environmental Studies program as well as the University. Peer Mentors can help new students navigate their way through university by answering questions and giving advice about where to find resources. Our Peer Mentors have achieved success at University and so can you. If you would like more information about the Peer Mentorship Program, please contact the Student Success Coordinator.

10. Are you having difficulties completing your assignments because you have many responsibilities that are causing you stress?

If this is the case, you may find it beneficial to contact the counselors at the Counseling and Disability Office. They will be able to guide you on how to take lecture notes, manage your time, handle stress that comes your way, and study for exams. They also provide workshops that you can attend between class times. The Counseling and Disability Services office is located in the Bennett Centre N110.

11. What is Academic Integrity?

Learn more about academic integrity, cheating and plagiarism and how this can affect you and your academic career. Take the tutorial designed to help students identify what plagiarism is and how to protect your academic work and integrity. Remember, making an error in citation, or unintentionally plagiarizing will not release you from academic integrity responsibilities. Be informed.

12. Do you want to transfer in to the Faculty of Environmental Studies?

If you are interested in learning more about the Bachelor in Environmental Studies, please contact the Student Success Coordinator. You may also check out our BES Undergraduate Handbook. Once you have made the decision to transfer to the Bachelor in Environmental Studies program you can complete and submit the Program Change Request online. Contact the Student Success Coordinator for an appointment to discuss future courses and transfer credits.

13. I have transferred from a college or another university and I think that I may have received transfer credits. I don't remember if I received transfer credits when I came to York. Is there anywhere that I can look for this information?

You should take a look online here.

14. I've been away from York University for some time. I'd like to return to classes. What do I have to do?

If you have not attended another post-secondary institution since you left York University, then you must reactivate your record here.

If however, you attended another institution even if for a short time, then you must re-apply through the Admissions Office. You can read more about this here.