faculty of environmental studies

You are here

Graduate student registration and enrolment

MES students are expected to register (i.e., to accept fees) and to enrol in courses for each term of the program. Students register and enrol in courses during Fall, Winter and Summer terms. Course offerings are limited in the summer term and so summer registration typically involves Individual Directed Study and/or Field Experience credits (see next section for Course Options). Students must also register and enrol in the appropriate courses at the MES III stage, ie. major research papers, projects and portfolios.

Registration is done using the Passport York online system. Enrolment involves completing a ‘Graduate Course Advising’ form that indicates all the courses the student is intending to take in the upcoming term, which is signed by both the student and the advisor. By accepting their fees each term, students are deemed to have registered for the term of study. It is the responsibility of the student to submit all the enrolment forms (and any additional paperwork required) as one package to OSAS, prior to the registration deadline. A $200 fee applies to late registration (see calendar page 2).

Changes in course enrolment

Before the deadline to change enrolment each term, students can change the courses they are enrolled in by completing the ‘Change in Graduate Course Enrolment’ form. It must be signed by the student’s advisor and returned to OSAS.  Students can also drop and add courses, using Passport York, before the deadline.  In order to drop or add a course after the deadline has passed, students must use the ‘Petition: Other’ form. This form must be signed by both the course director and the advisor, and returned to OSAS.  Students will be contacted if their petition is not approved.  A grade of Withdrawn (W) will be assigned for courses dropped after the deadline.  Forms are available at MES Forms

Registration and enrolment block

A student’s registration and enrolment may be blocked if the student requires a general exam. The student may also be blocked because of financial debt, an admissions requirement, or a problem with enrolment paperwork from a previous term. Students may inquire about the reason for a block by contacting OSAS.

Withdrawal and leave of absence

Students may withdraw or be withdrawn from the program at any time.  If a student voluntarily withdraws and her/his academic record is in good standing, it is relatively easy for him or her to re-enter later to finish the program.  If a student is withdrawn or is required to withdraw because of academic problems, such as failure to maintain academic standards, his/her ability to come back into the program will depend on the reason for the withdrawal, the student’s ability to demonstrate that s/he is now ready to complete the program, and a re-admission process involving the Faculty of Graduate Studies. It is extremely rare that students withdrawn for academic reasons are allowed to re-enter the program.

Under some circumstances, students may petition to take a leave of absence.  There are two types of leaves: compassionate and elective. A compassionate leave of absence can be taken anytime after the first term of study for reasons of ill health, personal or family crisis. A leave of absence form (from FGS) and an explanation of the circumstances are required, as well as a medical doctor’s note in the case of an illness.  An elective leave can be taken for one term only following the first term of study and prior to Term 5 of the MES program. Completion of an elective leave of absence form is required. For the elective leave of absence students cannot have any incomplete grades or outstanding course work from previous terms.  Students must be actively registered for the term prior to the term of completion.