“I have been involved in all three programs at FES: BES, MES, and Ph.D. either as a student or faculty, so I truly consider FES my intellectual home!”
I am currently Professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s School of Social Policy and Practice. I specialize in the economics of the Nonprofit Sector, which includes philanthropy and volunteering. I have served as editor in chief of the journal in the area (NVSQ), and currently am the Director of the Ph.D. program at my school. I have since leaving FES, published over 80 peer-reviewed papers and edited or written five books, including a children’s book Sandy’s Incredible Shrinking footprint about the ecological footprint, first learned about at FES!
I come to Toronto often and would love to meet up with FES colleagues!
- 2016 Virginia A. Hodgkinson Research Prize for best research book on philanthropy and the nonprofit sector: The Palgrave Handbook on Global Philanthropy (2015)
- 2016 Emerald Best International Symposium Award. Academy of Management for Making Nonprofit Organizations More Meaningful: What Can We Learn from Global Philanthropy? (2016)
- 2010 Editors' Prize for Best Scholarly Paper, Nonprofit Management and Leadership, Jossey-Bass Publishers
- 2008 Editors' Prize for Best Scholarly Paper, Nonprofit Management and Leadership, Jossey-Bass Publishers
- 2007 Marie Weil Award for Best Published Article, Journal of Community Practice, Haworth Press
- 1997 Honorable Mention for an Outstanding Published Article, Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Sage Publishers
- 1996 Outstanding Published Article Award, Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly. Sage Publishers
- 1996 Outstanding Dissertation Award, Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action
- Handy, F. & Russell, A. (forthcoming--2018) Ethical–decision making for social impact, Palgrave Macmillan
- Kassam, M., Handy, F., & Janson, E. (2016). Philanthropy in India: Practice and Promise. New Delhi: Sage
- Weipking, P. & Handy, F., (Eds) (2015) The Palgrave Handbook on Global Philanthropy. London, UK: Palgrave Macmillan
- Handy, F., Kassam, M., *Ingold, J. & Ranade, B. (2011). From Seva to cyberspace: The changing face of volunteering in India. New Delhi: Sage.
- Handy, F., & Carpenter, C. (2010). Sandy’s incredible shrinking footprint. Toronto, ON: Second Story Press.
- Also published in French (2012): L'incroyable empreinte de Sabline Bayard Presse, Canada; Dutch: De geheimzinnge voetafdruk Vries-Brouwers, Uitgeverij C, Nederlands (2012) and Korean (2011) Hanulim Press, Seoul, South Korea
- Handy, F. & Bunch, M. (Eds.) (2009). Sense and sustainability: Integrating knowledge in environmental studies. Toronto, ON: York University Books.
- Handy, F., Kassam, M., Feeney, S., & Ranade. B. (2006). Grass-roots NGOs by women for women: The driving force of development in India. New Delhi: Sage.