Certificate in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) & Remote Sensing
Certificate in Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing (GIS) may be completed either as a direct entry or concurrently with a degree program at York University (an Honours degree). Candidates who previously completed an undergraduate degree in a related field must have a minimum grade point average of 5.00 (C+). As well, individuals without an undergraduate degree but have previous relevant work experience may also apply to this program. GIS and Remote Sensing encompasses the art, science and technology involved in collecting and managing geographically-referenced information.
The certificate prepares students with hands on technical training. Students develop skills in areas dealing with spatial analysis applications, topographical surveying, geospatial database development, cartographic imaging, and project planning/management
Required courses (24 credits):
- ES/ENVS 1000 6.00
- ES/ENVS 2009 3.00
- ES/ENVS 3520 3.00
- ES/ENVS 3521 3.00
- ES/ENVS 4520 3.00
- ES/ENVS 4521 3.00
- 3.00 credits from the following list of elective courses.
- LE/ESSE 4220 3.00: Remote Sensing of the Earth’s Surface (formerly LE/SC/EATS 4220 3.00)
- LE/ESSE 4230 3.00: Remote Sensing of the Atmosphere (formerly LE/SC/EATS 4220 3.00)
- ES/ENVS 3710 3.00: Landscape Ecology
- ES/ENVS 4522 3.00: Web GIS
- AP/SC/GEOG 2340 3.00: Geoinformatics: Introduction (course-credit exclusion: AP/SC/GEOG 2350 3.00)
- AP/GEOG 3140 3.00: Retailing, Shopping, Society and Space
- AP/GEOG 4240 3.00: The Planning of Urban Public Facilities
- Students intending to pursue the GIS Certificate with the Faculty of Environmental Studies should enrol in ES/ENVS 2009 3.00 in their second year of study.
- Other courses that may be considered as an electives are LE/EECS 1530 3.00 and ES/ENVS 4523 3.00
Students working towards this certificate must:
- Maintain a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 6.00 (B) in the certificate required courses and achieve a Cumulative GPA of 5.00 (C+) in all courses
- Register in the program after completing 24.00 credits
- Maintain continued enrolment in the Honours program
Students who have been exempted from any of the required courses or Special Students who have successfully completed the equivalent of any of the required courses must substitute additional credits from the certificate program elective courses list, for an overall total of 24.00 credits in the certificate program.
How to Apply for Current York Students
To apply for the GIS certificate program, you must fill out the GIS application form (PDF)
and submit it to the Office of Student and Academic Services (OSAS) in 137 HNES. Both York University degree candidates and non-degree students may earn a Certificate in GIS Remote Sensing.
How to Apply for Non-York Students
Candidates who previously completed an undergraduate degree in a related field must have a minimum grade point average of 5.0. Future Students can apply to York University through the Future Students Website http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/.