How to Apply
Please note that meeting the minimum academic requirements is not a guarantee of admission to our program.
- Fall 2019 Online Application Deadline: February 13, 2019
- Fall 2019 Submission of Supporting Document Deadline: February 27, 2019
Minimum Academic Requirements:
- Honours (4 years) undergraduate degree from an accredited university
- Minimum B+ GPA over the last two years (or full-time equivalent) of academic study
- No disciplinary requirement
Domestic Applicants with Professional Experience
We value professional and volunteer experience and appreciate that there may have been barriers that previously hindered your academic studies. If you do not meet the minimum academic requirements, you may still be considered for admission as part of the Professional Experience Application. You will need to demonstrate that you have an extensive background in the area you wish to study including significant writing, analytical, and professional experience.
Students who have completed studies in a country other than Canada are encouraged to review the International Credentials Guidelines for equivalent requirements. A competitive application to the program would exceed minimum academic requirements. International Applicants are also encouraged to review our Faculty Member profiles and connect with a potential supervisor prior to applying.
- Graduate Application Form
- Official sealed transcripts from every post-secondary institution attended
- Supplemental Program Information Form
- Referee Information Form (3 Referees)
- Statement of Intended Research
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Professional Experience Application form (If applicable)
- Acceptable language test score (If applicable)
Additional documentation (such as the GRE or other standardized tests) is not required.
Please be advised that all materials submitted become the property of the University and will not be returned.
1. Complete the online Graduate Application Form and pay the $100 application fee
Your application cannot be processed until payment is received. No documents will be reviewed prior to the submission of the Graduate Application Form.
2. Access your MyFile Account
Within 4 business days after you have applied, you will receive a confirmation email from York University with your 9 digit student reference number which you will need to access our online system, MyFile.
3. Complete forms available in your MyFile
In your MyFile, under the “Supplementary Information Forms” link, there are two forms that you must complete. Please keep in mind that as you only have 30 minutes to complete each form, you may wish to prepare your answers in advance and then copy and paste them into each form:
Supplementary Information Form
Question 1: Awards Information. Please indicate any external awards you have applied for including SSHRC and OGS.
Question 2: Language Skill. The MES program does not require facility in a language other than English.
Question 3: Areas of Specialization. You may indicate your interest in one of our program options here. Please note that you do not have to indicate any program options:
- MES Planning Program
- Graduate Diploma in Environmental/Sustainability Education
- Graduate Diploma in Business and the Environment
- Joint MES/JD program with Osgoode Hall Law School – To be considered for the joint program, you will need to apply to both the MES and the JD programs separately. Indicate your interest in the Joint program on both applications.
Question 4: Professors you hope to work with. You must identify 3 professors within the Faculty of Environmental Studies. We encourage you to review our full time faculty members profiles and research interests.
Please note that you do not need to secure an advisor/supervisor prior to applying. You will be matched with one of our professors if admitted to the program.
Question 5: Other information. You may use this space to provide any additional information that you feel would be relevant for your application but you have not previously mentioned. If you are re-applying to the MES, please indicate it here.
Referee Information Form
Please provide us with the names and email addresses of your 3 referees who we will contact on your behalf. Your referees will have 2 weeks to complete their letter of recommendation form.
Please keep in mind that academic references are strongly preferred to professional references. The Committee needs to know about your critical thinking skills and how adept you are at dealing with theoretical concepts. It is possible to use professional referees if necessary, as long as they address these abilities in their letter.
4. Submit all required supporting documents
You may upload and view the status of your required documents in the “Supporting Documents” link in your MyFile. You will need to submit:
- Required from every post-secondary institution you have attended (including exchanges programs and programs for which you did not receive a degree regardless of the length of time that has passed) Please Note: You do not need to submit transcripts for studies at York University.
- Your transcript must include the following: Your full name, the name of the institution, the name of each course, and the grade you received. Transcripts that do not list these items will not be reviewed.
- Transcripts written in a language other than English or French will require official translations and must accompany the initial transcripts.
If your Bachelor’s degree is still in progress, you must submit your in-progress transcripts. If you receive an offer of admission, you must submit your final, official transcripts showing all grades received and degrees conferred to finalize this offer.
For assessment purposes, you may upload unofficial copies of your transcripts to your MyFile under the link for “Supporting Documents”.
To be considered official, transcripts must be received by York University in sealed envelopes. Transcripts may be sent directly from the issuing institution or from you, as long as the issuing institution’s seal remains unbroken. Photocopied, faxed, or verified true copies are not considered official documents. Review the official York University Transcript Statement.
In countries where degree certificates are issued separately, official copies must also be submitted.
Official transcripts and degree certificates can be sent to:
Office of Admissions W322 Bennett Centre for Student Services 99 Ian MacDonald Blvd Toronto, ON Canada M3J 1P3
Submit your statement of academic interest
Your Statement should follow the format below:
Part A: A title summarizing your research interests (20 words or less)
Part B: Five key concepts that best relate to your research interests (15 words or less)
Part C: Describe your intended research (Approximately 500 words):
- Key theories/concepts and practices central to your area of interests
- After reviewing our full time faculty members profiles and research interests, describe how your interests relate to those of the faculty members you identify in your Supplemental Program Information form. (Step 2 above)
- The reasons why the MES is best suited to meet your academic and professional goals
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
You may also wish to include the following information in your resume (where applicable):
- Academic honours (scholarships, fellowships, awards, etc.)
- Academic/professional qualifications and memberships
- Publications or reports (if any are joint-authored, please provide a separate note describing your contribution)
Professional Experience Application form (If applicable)
Once an assessor has reviewed your academic background, you may be asked to submit a Professional Experience Application form if you do not meet the minimum academic requirements. This is your opportunity to explain why you do not meet our minimum admission requirements and how your professional and academic experiences have prepared you to be successful in our program.
Language Test Score (If applicable)
If your first language is not English, you must submit evidence of an acceptable level of English language proficiency to be considered for admission. Minimum required scores:
- TOEFL: Paper-based: 600; Computer-based: 250; iBT: 100 (York code: 0894)
- IELTS: Overall band score: 7.5
For more details, please see York University’s English language proficiency information.
York University reserves the right to request a successful English language proficiency test result.
Re-Applying to our MES Program
If your initial application is unsuccessful, or you are admitted but do not accept your offer of admission, you will need to re-apply for future entry in the program.
1.Complete a new Graduate Application Form and pay the $100 application fee.
2.Email the FES Recruitment and Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org them that you are re-applying to the MES program.
Please include your first and last name and your 9-digit York student reference number.
We may still have your documents from your previous application, but you may only re-use documents for up to one year. Please confirm with us which documents you intend to re-use.
3.Ensure all required documents as outlined above are submitted so that your application is complete.
Please keep in mind that you must submit the following:
- Transcripts from any post-secondary institutions you have attended since you last applied
- Updated Supplemental Program Information Form
- For Question 5 you must clearly indicate that you are re-applying to the program and the year that you applied.
- Updated CV/Resume