PhD in Environmental Studies
Our PhD is one of the most diverse doctoral programs exploring environmental concerns and approaches related to the natural, the social, the political, the cultural, and the urban. Adopting an interdisciplinary approach to environmental research, our program connects conventional disciplines such as social sciences, humanities, arts, and natural sciences in ways that encourage viewing issues through a broader, more contextual perspective, with an emphasis on social justice. The PhD in Environmental Studies program does not have a set curriculum, but instead you create your own unique Program Plan guided by your supervisory committee.
- 4 to 6 years of study
- Full time
- Fall (September) entry
- Domestic: Approximately $5,200 per year
- International: Approximately $18,900 per year
- Find out more
Competitive Funding Available
- Domestic: Approximately $23,800 per year
- International: Approximately $35,600 per year
- Find out more
- Applied Ecology and Conservation
- Critical Urban Studies
- Culture, Environment and Post-Humanism
- Global Political Ecology, Critical Development Studies, and Anti-Colonialism
- Socio-Environmental Health
- Environmental Policy and Management
Please note: Meeting the minimum academic requirements is not a guarantee of admission to our program.
- Fall 2020 Online Application Deadline: January 15, 2020
- Fall 2020 Submission of Supporting Document Deadline: January 29, 2020
- Master’s degree from an accredited university
- Minimum B+ GPA
- No disciplinary requirement
Students who have completed studies in a country other than Canada are encouraged to review the International Credentials Guidelines for equivalent requirements. A competitive application to the program would exceed minimum academic requirements. International Applicants are encouraged to review our Faculty Member profiles and connect with a potential supervisor prior to applying.
Meet our Recruitment and Admissions team at one of our upcoming events:
Attend an Info Session
Sign up for one of our online info sessions to chat with the program coordinator, learn more about the MES, and see if the program is the right fit for you.