Constituency & Planning Assistant
Office of City Councillor Jaye Robinson (Ward 15 – Don Valley West)
Deadline Date: February 28, 2019
This position is suited for an energetic self-starter who is interested in understanding the mechanics of municipal government on a day-to-day level.
The Constituency and Planning Assistant will support the Councillor with respect to constituency concerns and public inquiries. You will work closely with the Councillor and city staff Councillor to determine appropriate actions and responses to residents’ inquiries, as well as provide some research and analysis for the Councillor on policy matters.
Your work will focus on a variety of areas, but your area of interest will be on urban planning and development applications in the ward, as well as local traffic planning and other general constituency issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Constituency Support – 60%
- Act as a front-line staff in managing the day-to-day inquiries from residents on issues relating to local development, planning and transportation issues, among others;
- Act as the primary liaison between local residents and relevant city staff;
- Maintain a communication and consultation strategy with constituents on development applications in their neighbourhoods;
- Act as a liaison between the Councillor and the ward’s residents’ associations; and,
- Ensure all correspondence with constituents and city staff are recorded, and all records are maintained in the internal database.
Councillor Aide – 30%
- Ensure the Councillor is prepared with the required briefing material for Community Council, Committees and other meetings by identifying relevant items, performing research on context and precedent and communicating with relevant stakeholders;
- Review and summarize relevant reports and documents for the Councillor;
- Operate as a liaison between the Councillor and city staff on local issues and city-wide issues relevant to the ward;
- Prepare and coordinate presentation material and speeches for the Councillor; and,
- Assist in arranging public meetings and other community events, and assist the Councillor at public meetings and events.
Policy Analysis and Development – 10%
- Maintain awareness of ward, community and city-wide planning, development and traffic matters that impact the Councillor and her constituency, and identify possible policy solutions and opportunities;
- Provide outreach, research and strategic planning for the Councillor with respect to policy matters and city services that impact the constituency; and,
- Work closely with city staff in City Planning, Toronto Building, Transportation Services and other relevant city divisions to develop policy solutions and ensure the Councillor is informed on upcoming policy changes that impact the constituency.
Key qualifications include:
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) and attention to detail;
- Strong organization and time management skills;
- The ability to manage diverse projects and responsibilities concurrently;
- Resourcefulness, dynamism and problem-solving; and,
- The ability to work independently without direction and as part of a team.
- An educational background in human geography, urban studies, city planning, architecture or a similar degree would be an asset.
The position is full-time, starts immediately and is located at Toronto City Hall (100 Queen Street West). You are encouraged to review the Councillor’s website at www.jayerobinson.ca prior to submitting your application.
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning immediately. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.