Where do I get computing help?

The answer depends on what kind of help you need. In almost all cases, it will be fastest for you to review the instructions or help features of the service or software you are using and see if they can help.

  • Contact University Information Technology (UIT) Service Desk regarding any computing problems at York (for example, problems with computer accounts, email, web hosting and wireless internet access)
  • If you have a problem specific to the FES computing system, you can consult the FES Help Desk in 256 HNES. The Help Desk is intended to assist with general computer problems such as logging in, printing and email. They can only deal with problems specific to the FES system, and cannot provide assistance with software use
  • If you are unsure of who to contact about your problem, please ask the FES Help Desk for clarification

I forgot my Passport York password or username? How do I get a new one?

  • Visit the mms.yorku.ca (Manage My services) website and then refer to the Forgot my password or username section
  • If you have forgotten your username or password then follow the instructions to reset
  • Please contact the FES Help Desk for more details or assistance

My Passport York login works on other web applications. Why do I get invalid username and password error when trying to login to the FES computer lab?

  • If you have not changed your password in over a year you may need to change it now. Follow the instructions below to change your password:
  1. Start up web browser and go to mms.yorku.ca
  2. Click on the check box beside “Click this box before logging into to change your Passport York password”. Log in using your current Passport York username and password. Follow the prompts to change password. Note: Password can only be 7 or 8 characters long and may not contain a semi-colon (;) or double quotes (“)
  3. Wait around 10 minutes before trying to login to an FES computer again

Where can I go if the computer labs in Health Nursing and Environmental Studies (HNES) Building are closed

  • There are several other computer labs on campus. Note that all currently enrolled students can use the computers in the Computing Commons and in the Libraries for free

Do I need a YU-card to print?

  • FES students will be able to log into the Print Release station PC in HNES 259 by swiping their YU-card, or using their Passport York login information
  • FES students MUST use their own YU-card or Passport York login to print. Using another YU-card or login information will NOT display your print jobs or account balance

How do I get help?

  • Instructions for queuing and printing are posted next to the Print Station in HNES 259. If you need further assistance, contact the help desk support staff located in HNES 256

How to Share large files?

If a computer file(s) become too large to send or share using email (typically over 10MB in size), there are other options to transfer files within or from York University labs and personal computers:

Are there any student/university deals for purchasing computers or software?

University Information Technology (UIT) offers free and discounted software to the campus community. Private companies also often give special discounted “educational prices” to members of the University community. For more information, contact Data Integrity, York University’s computing store, at 416-736-5993.