FES Computer Labs
Three computer labs are available exclusively for the use of the FES community. File Access Service (FAS) is required. FES students, staff and faculty, and non-FES students enrolled in FES courses are given access. NOTE: FES computer labs will not be available during holidays and University closures. See dates when the University is closed.
|FES Geomatics (GIS) Lab – 249 HNES||Computer Lab||26|
|FES PC Lab – 253 HNES||Computer Lab||34|
|FES PC Lab – 258 HNES||Computer Lab||39|
Monday–Friday 8:30am–9:00pm and Saturday–Sunday 8:30am–6:00pm (Summer hours may vary.). Labs are primarily used for teaching and are only available for drop-in use during non-teaching periods. At all times, priority is for students working on course related projects.
If you need to use a computer when the FES labs are unavailable, check out the other computer labs on campus. Graduate students can also access a limited number of computers in the graduate student lounges.
Most of the classrooms and all computer labs in the Faculty of Environmental Studies (FES) are equipped with presentation technology. York University Information Technology (UIT) Classroom Operations provides the equipment and support for these classrooms.
- Any classroom with a built in PC requires a Passport York account to log in
- Instructions for using equipment are listed in all rooms
- Personal laptops can be connected through VGA or HDMI (cable is provided)
- User must bring their own adapter if the laptop e.g. MacBook does not have a VGA or HMDI connection
- Additional equipment and training sessions are available upon request
How do I get help?
- Contact the UIT Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at ext. 55800 (416-736-5800)
- Please note that FES IT Services is not responsible for the operation of the equipment
The list of available rooms include
Access to Computer Facilities
- Access to facilities is dependent upon scheduled classes in the lab
- Access to the FES network and other remote systems are free to all registered FES students, and students enrolled in ENVS courses with valid Passport York account
- Both FES graduate and undergraduate students share the facility
- Priority for use will be for teaching
Use of the Computer Facilities
- Use of the facilities is restricted to course-related work
- Computers are available on a ‘first come, first serve’ basis
- Students are not permitted to download or install any software onto the FES computing system, or use any unauthorized software on the FES computing system (i.e. games, chat programs). Failure to comply will result in immediate and permanent loss of all FES computing privileges
- Please logout and allow others to use your machine if you will be away for any length of time. If you are away from your computer for more than twenty minutes, you will be logged out of the computer
- Do not open printer trays or change any printer settings. Before printing a long document, it is a good idea to send a few test pages to ensure correct operation
- Software and hardware are property of FES. Copying any of the applications from the FES system is illegal. If you do so, you will lose your computer access and you may be charged with theft
- It is not permitted to modify any of the default settings on the system’s application software
- No food or drink containers should be visible in the FES computer lab. Users who fail to comply with the No Food and Drink policy after several warnings will face account suspension of FES computing access for one week (5 business days). Any further infractions may result in the permanent removal of a user’s FES computing account privileges
- Cell phone use is not allowed in any of the computer labs. Persons who wish to use their cell phones must do so outside of the computer lab area
- Be considerate of others working in the room by keeping the noise level down
Printers for the use of FES students are available in 259 HNES. Printer details and costs are as follows:
|Printer Name||Printing Type||Paper Trays||Cost per single side|
|ES-FESLAB-A-DOUBLESIDE & SINGLESIDE||Double-sided printing by default||1: – 2: Letter 3: Letter||$0.10 per page|
|ES-FESLAB-B-DOUBLESIDE & SINGLESIDE||Double-sided printing by default||1: – 2: Letter 3: Letter||$0.10 per page|
|ES-FESLAB-COLOUR||Colour printing||1: – 2: Letter 3: 11″ x 17″||$0.25 per page (Letter) $0.50 per page (11″ x 17″)|
You need a YU Card to print. For more information about obtaining, reporting, or updating balance please visit YU-card. Students are responsible for their own Card balances. Faculty members, staff and GAs should see the FES Help Desk for instructions. No printing refunds will be given.
How do I print?
When your document is open, select print then choose one of the printer names above. Your print job will be sent to the Print Release Station PC and will be held in a queue until it is “released” by you. Note that print jobs will automatically be deleted in three days (72 hours). To “release” the print job go to the Print Release Station PC in 259 HNES and follow the on-screen instructions.
WebPrint allows you to print to publicly-accessible campus printers from your laptop or desktop computer.
There are three scanners available in the FES computer labs – one in each of the PC labs in HNES 253 and 258, with the other in the GIS lab in HNES 249. All three can scan images and convert text documents into editable files using Optical Character Recognition (OCR). Scanning is quite simple, but can require minute adjustments that take time to learn. You may want to do additional research on how to achieve your desired results before beginning. To use one of the scanners, log in to the computer attached to the scanner and double click the “Scanner” icon to launch the scanning software. If you need help, open the “Scanning Instructions” icon.